Hey! At the end of the school year I threw together a meal plan of some foods that I eat on a daily basis. I will be adding more recipes to the meal plan this summer when I try them out, but to get a head start on your health over summer…go to the store… buy these foods… get cooking!
Breakfast: Served with green tea and if needed honey!
• Two eggs with a bowl of fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, etc.).
• A bowl of granola or cereal (that I recommended) with fruit inside.
• Instant oatmeal with and of the following combinations:
o Raisins, cinnamon, milk and applesauce
o Blueberries, yogurt and seeds or nuts. (you can use any fruit)
o Cheddar cheese, onion and paprika. (if you don’t want something sweet)
o Peaches, yogurt, honey. (you can use any fruit)
• Slice of whole wheat bread or rice cake with nut spread, and a side of fruit.
• Omelet filled with assortment of veggies, cheese and topped with salsa.
• Yogurt Parfait with granola and fruit
• Smoothies (you can add nut butter or flax seed to any of these)
o 1c. Kale, 1c. Mixed berries, ¼- ½ c. almond milk, 1/4c. Yogurt and 1 tbsp. peanut butter. (You can use the frozen mixed berries).
o 1c. Pineapple, 1c. Kale, 1c. Grapes, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1tsp. ginger, 1tsp. m flaxseed.
o 1 orange, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, ½ cup spinach leaves, 1 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 peach (you can use the frozen citrus fruits).
o Strawberries, banana, almond milk, yogurt.
Lunch: Served with lemon water!
• Turkey or chicken wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with cheese, veggies (spinach, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato etc.) with light mayo, mustard or salsa. Side of fruit and handful of pretzels or pita chips.
• Peanut butter and honey sandwich with a side of carrots, cucumber and fruit.
• Mixed veggies and pita chips with hummus and a side of fruit.
• Tossed salad with chicken, spinach, hardboiled egg, strawberries, cucumber, seeds or nuts and a vinaigrette dressing and a side of whole wheat crackers.
• Sweet potato with yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit. (I add spinach also)
• Any leftover soups or chili.
• Chicken, cheese, spinach and avocado sandwich with pita chips and fruit.
• Tuna Salad (canned tuna, celery, nuts, grapes, raisins with mustard and light mayo) or egg salad (hard boiled eggs, mustard, light mayo salt and pepper) either on a sandwich or dipped with veggies and whole wheat crackers with a side of fruit.
• Quinoa (1 ½ cup cooked) with chicken, cucumber, onion, celery, cherry tomatoes, carrots, 1/12 cup lemon juice, 1/6 cup feta cheese, 1/12 c. olive oil and pepper with pita chips and fruit.
• Celery, peanut butter, raisins.
• Orange and trail mix
• Apple and peanut butter
• Cheese cubes and grapes
• Granola bar
• Air popped popcorn
• Granola and fruit
• Almonds and fruit
• Veggies and hummus
• Handful of pita chips or pretzels (don’t resort to this option every time!)
Dinner: Served with ice water
• Veggie Quesadillas (on blog)
• Corn bean salsa chicken slow cooker:
o 2 cans DRAINED black beans
o 2 cans DRAINED corn
o 2-3 cups cut up chicken breast
o 1c. salsa, ¾ cup water
o Cut recipe in half and place in 2 gallon bags and put in freezer until you want to cook it. Then cook in slow cooker for 3-4 hours high, or 7-8 hours low. Top with cheese, avocado and tomato, serve with a salad.
• Turkey and Balsamic Onion Quesadillas (Serves 2 or save for seconds!!):
o 1 small red onion
o ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
o 4 whole wheat tortillas
o 1c. Cheddar cheese
o 8 slices of turkey
o Combine vinegar in bowl with onions and let marinate for 5 minutes, pour vinegar out and use for a salad dressing later. In a skillet place the tortillas filled with ingredients and cook until hot.
• Lentil soup (on blog)
• Sweet Potato with steamed veggies (broccoli, asparagus, squash etc.)
• Baked or grilled Chicken (season with lemon juice and pepper) with steamed veggies and fruit
• Zucchini spaghetti (on blog) with tomato sauce
o 1½ tablespoon olive oil
o 1 medium onion, chopped
o 1 cup carrots, chopped
o 1 cup celery, chopped
o 1 red bell pepper, chopped
o 10 ounces mushrooms, chopped
o 4 garlic cloves, chopped
o 3 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, pureed in a food processor with all the juices
o salt and pepper, to taste
o Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté until onions are softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, until vegetables are soft. Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
• White Chicken chili
o Chicken breast cut into bite size
o 3 cans sodium free of white beans
o 1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
o 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
o Chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic
o Add dried oregano, cayenne pepper and cumin powders.
• Chili: (served with salad)
o Two cans of sodium free tomatoes
o Two cans of sodium free beans (black and red)
o One can of sodium free corn
o Ground turkey
o Addition of any other veggies
• Black bean soup (on blog)
• Stuffed bell peppers (on blog)
• Baked apple with cinnamon and honey
• Dark chocolate
• My energy balls (on blog)
• Cool whip with fruit
• Banana ice cream (on blog)
• Fruit and nut butter
- All natural low sodium peanut butter
- Greek yogurt
- Granola (bear naked)
- Almond Milk or Silk Milk
- Canned black beans (no sodium added)
- Pita Chips
- Low sodium pretzels
- Frozen berries and citrus fruit
- Flax seed
- Whole grain bread
- Whole grain tortillas
- Bell Pepper
- Canned corn (no salt added)
- Fresh green beans
- Fat free Cottage Cheese
- Fat free cream cheese
- Air popped popcorn (skinny girl)
- Package of low-fat cheese squares
- Green tea packets
- Brown rice
- Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Quaker oatmeal (plain oats)
- Fat-free turkey sandwich meat
- Chicken breasts (white meat)
- Trail Mix (cranberry, almond, seeds)
- Kashi bars/kind bars
- Whole wheat crackers
- Dark chocolate (60% or more cocoa)
- Fat-free cool whip
- Snapped peas
- Cuties (baby oranges)
- All natural honey
- Olive Oil
- Shredded Wheat Cereal
- Rice cakes
- Apple sauce
- Whole grain bagels or English muffins
- Low-sodium chicken broth
Make sure you have a fun treat once a week! You deserve it!