Have you heard of the vicious epidemic that is hurting and killing thousands of people in America?
It is spreading and growing more and more everyday!
Everywhere you look, there is a person affected by this disgusting epidemic.
This epidemic is not brought on by bacteria or unsanitary conditions, but one’s own decisions. It is ADDICTION.
Some of the things that can trigger it are: fast food restaurants, netflix, phones, soda, poor parenting, depression, work and more.
Once you have it, you are prone to fatal diseases, illnesses, and scary conditions.
It can be controlled with the right medications and mindset…but not many people know what they are.
What is it’s name? Obesity. Do you want to know a few things that can cure it incase you get sucked in too?
- Colorful eating! Fill your plate with the colors of the rainbow in natural foods (leafy greens, luscious fruits, beautiful vegetables)
- Water! Stay away from soda, high sugar juices, and alcohol. Drink water!
- Stay active! Exercise at least 20 minutes each day, don’t think that in order to be active you have to go to the gym for 1 hour… there are plenty of short home workouts that will burn fat and tone you up!
- Stay motivated! Keep your head up and eyes on the prize even if you feel you can’t do it…because you are capable of anything.
- Portion Control! Now a days, restaurants are doubling the sizes of meals served. Don’t feel obligated to eat everything on the plate. Just eat until you are satisfied and take the rest home for lunch the next day!
Did you know that the Super Bowl is the 2nd biggest holiday where the most food is consumed! Thanksgiving is 1st, of course. I have a few recipes that will be great for your Super Bowl watching tonight!
- 4 avocados, diced or mashed
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan sea salt
- Combine all ingredients together and serve!
- One large bag of pita chips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- Feta cheese, for sprinkling
Sauce: (You can use 1/2 cup hummus as a substitute)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 lemons, juiced
- In a bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, dill and lemon juice (or hummus). Add the black olives, cucumbers, tomatoes and red onions and mix to combine. Spoon the yogurt sauce (hummus) over the pita chips and sprinkle with feta.
- 1 can no salt added black beans
- 1 can no salt added corn, rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- Combine all together and serve
Get fruit (grapes, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, watermelon, oranges) and cut into good bites sizes. Place onto skewers and arrange them around the watermelon.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Footballs:
- 1 package of strawberries
- 65% or more chocolate chips, melted
- Greek Yogurt (or white chocolate chips, melted)
- Zip lock baggie filled with the white chocolate or yogurt
- Dip the strawberries into the chocolate, pipe on football lines
Are you trying to incorporate more vegetables into your diet, but can’t seem to enjoy them? Here is my favorite way to dress up my veggies!
I add about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a saute pan with sliced red onion and 3-4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Once the onions are half way carmelized, I throw in my raw vegetables (broccoli, green beans, asparagus, kale etc.) I let them simmer on med-high heat for about 5 minutes and then add in sliced mushrooms. Let it cook for another 2 minutes or until the vegetables are at the preferred texture and your mushrooms are caramelized. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Ta Da! You can now enjoy your veggies!
Remember, when you are plating your meals to fill up half of your plate with vegetables!